Tenant Information

Consumer Affairs Victoria: Renting a home - A guide for tenants and landlords:

This booklet is provided to assist you during your tenancy.  It contains some very useful information.  Please refer to it as necessary during your tenancy.


The Tenancy Agreement & Condition Report are legal documents and it is suggested you retain them in a safe place during your tenancy.

Condition Report:

This document is as important as the Tenancy Agreement you signed as it establishes the condition of the property at the commencement of your tenancy and will be used as a comparison at the end of your tenancy as the basis on which your bond is refunded.

Please check it and amend as necessary.  You have three (3) working days after commencement of your tenancy to complete and return it to this office.  If you neglect to return a signed copy of this report, you could forfeit your right to object if there is a disagreement at the end of you tenancy.

Routine Inspections:

Routine Inspections are carried out in the first 3 months and then every 6 months.  You will receive notification of the pending inspection in writing.

Payment of Rent:

Our office is open 6 days a week for enquires Monday to Friday 9am - 7pm, Saturday 9am - 5pm.  A Rentcard will be given to you at the time of signing, which will enable you to pay your rent electronically, directly to Inner Real Estate NextRE.  

Rents are due and payable in full accordance with the due date on your lease agreement.  If you have difficulty meeting your commitments, please advise your property manager.  Remember our landlords have financial commitments to be met, and they rely on rent being paid on time.

Rental Arrears:

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your rent always contact us and discuss your problem.  However should we not hear from you, a reminder will be sent when rent is overdue and a notice of termination of tenancy could be served after the rent is 14 days in arrears.


Inner Real Estate NextRE request that all repairs and maintenance requests be forwarded to our office in writing by facsimile, post or e-mail.  Inner Real Estate NextRE and the landlord will not pay or reimburse any maintenance accounts not previously authorised by this office.

Urgent Repairs:

The following list specifies what constitutes an urgent repair under the Residential Tenancies Act.

A burst water service
A blocked or broken toilet system
A serious roof leak
A gas leak 
A dangerous electrical fault
Flooding or serious flood damage
Serious storm or fire damage
A failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided by the landlord or agent for hot water, water, cooking, heating or laundry
A failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
Any fault or damage that makes the rented premises unsafe or insecure
An appliance, fitting or fixture which is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted, or
A serious fault in a lift or staircase in the rented premises
During the period of your tenancy should you have an emergency or an urgent repair at the property the following tradesmen are the people to use. (Please note that these numbers should only be used if you are unable to contact the agent and the situation is a true emergency as set out in the RTA 1997.  If it is not considered an emergency you may be liable for the costs involved).


Please note, these numbers are only to be  used strictly in a case of an emergency.  You must firstly contact our office on 9804 5551, this is a 24hr after hours emergency service through manned operators who will take your call details and forward them to your property management team.  If you have not received a response within 24 hours you may call the following numbers but please note that if it turns out that it is not an emergency but an act of panic and the matter could have been dealt with in some other recourse action, you may be liable for any costs incurred.

State Emergency Service (Flood or Storm damage) 9696 6111

In the situation where there is a breakdown in the electricity, gas, water or telephone services you must first contact the emergency telephone numbers of the relevant supply company (please refer below).  The relevant company will then tell you if you will be required to arrange your own service call, or if it's a fault that they will resolve.

We hope you never need to use these provisions, however if you need to arrange an urgent repair you must notify our office as soon as possible.  You will also need to supply details of the repair works carried out as well as the costs involved and an appropriate tax invoice for payment.


It is not your landlord's responsibility to insure your possessions.  The landlord's insurance policy covers only the building plus any fixtures and fittings.  With the ever-increasing incidence of burglary and theft, we strongly recommend you take out content's insurance cover.


Please advise the property manager of your new telephone number at the property when you have it connected.  Also, if you change employment during your tenancy, please advise us of your new work number.


In the event that you lock yourself out, first contact the office to collect a spare set of keys, if one is held here.

In the event of you locking yourself out after hours, you can call the locksmith, but this would be at your cost.  Should you change the locks at any time, you must supply us with copies of the new keys.


Tenants are responsible for maintaining gardens and disposal of garden rubbish unless otherwise stated in the lease.  All tenants are responsible for watering gardens.  If a gardener is provided to maintain the garden, remember you must still ensure it is regularly watered.

Rubbish (household and garden):

Rubbish must be placed in the proper bin(s), rubbish placed in boxes or bags may not be collected.  Please contact your local council for details as to what you can and can't dispose of and when the collection is in your area.  If you not have a rubbish bin or recycle bin you should contact either the council directly or otherwise speak to your property manager.


Cars or motor vehicles should only be parked in the designated areas and not on front nature strips or lawn areas.  You must also ensure that your car never obstructs access for any other residents or neighbours.

Light Globes and Smoke Detectors:

Tenants are responsible for changing light globes and smoke detector batteries during the tenancy and renewing them before the termination of the tenancy.


When wishing to vacate:

A minimum of 28 days written notice must be given to our office.
This notice cannot be for a date earlier than the lease expiry date, and is taken from the date the office receives your letter.
Rent is always payable up until the date the keys are returned to the office.
If you vacate during the term of the Agreement, you will be breaking the contract you have entered into.  You will be responsible for:

Rent until a new tenant is found,
All advertising and marketing expenses incurred,
Letting fee,
A tenancy reference check through NTD (tenancy database).

Change of Tenant

If an extra or replacement tenant wants to occupy the property, their application must be similarly approved.

Any change in occupant could affect the bond refund process when you vacate.  Bond transfer forms must therefore be completed and signed when the extra or replacement tenant is approved.

If the Agreement is in joint or multiple names, all parties to it are individually and jointly responsible.  In other words, if the Agreement is in multiple names and one party does not have the funds to meet their commitment, some or all of the other parties are responsible to meet that commitment.

Bond Refund:

Your bond monies are refunded by the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.  It is imperative that you return all keys to our office and (if applicable) a carpet cleaning receipt to facilitate prompt refund of your monies.  In addition, we can't refund your monies until after the final inspection and after we have received a signed bond claim form by all bond holders.

Details required under section S66 (3a & 3B) RTA 1997:

Details of Agency for services of all documentation:

Inner Real Estate NextRE

Suite 20/37-39 Albert Rd

Melbourne VIC 3004

Ph: 03 9804 5551   Facsimile: 03 9804 5553

Email: mail@ire.com.au


Unless you have advised us that you wish to use Direct Connect, it is your responsibility to organise the connection of services for the property:

Gas & Electricity Suppliers:


131 245 connection

131 626 faults

1800 645 221 if calling from outside metropolitan Melbourne

Origin Energy:

131 260 connection

131 280 faults

03 9401 9009 if calling from outside metropolitan Melbourne


133 466 connection

131 799 faults Electricity          

132 083 faults gas       

Telecommunication Suppliers:

132 200 Telstra

1300 300 937 Optus

Water Suppliers:

131 851 South East Water (1800 637 064 if calling from outside metropolitan Melbourne)

131 691 City West Water

Cable Television Suppliers:

131 999 Foxtel

133 937 Optus